Republicans for Obama
You are hereForums / Miscellaneous Chit-Chat / ????? Is it true or not ??????
By BlakeyV - Posted on 24 February 2009
If true, she will be democrats "joe the plumber"
Are there any honest people left out there?????
I will not throw the first punch but I wil certainly throw the last.....President Barack Obama.
Let me make some points as well as point out many of the inaccuracies in this article. The fact that many people will read this and assume it is all true makes me sick. This article is filled with LIES, LIES, LIES. I am disgusted at how this was written with such evil intent.
1) “During Obama’s campaign to promote his stimulus package, he staged an event with a woman, Henrietta Hughes” -- Nowhere have I read or seen that the interaction with Ms. Hughes was staged. This accusation needs to be backed up with some facts.
2) “who, as it turns out, appears to be anything but truly needy” -- Yet again, I have seen no proof that she wasn’t actually homeless. Just making the accusation does not make it true.
3) “When aid was provided via the offer of free rent by an opportunistic politician” -- I find this statement to be particularly vile. Why is someone who offers help to their fellow man opportunistic? Someone performs a selfless act, and they are disparaged? What the hell?
4) “the liberal press spouted that Henrietta was actually given a free home and implied it cam from Obama” -- No one, and I mean no one, ever implied that it came from Obama. There were interviews with the Republican politician’s wife who offered the home. I truly believe that the woman made the offer out of the goodness of her heart.
5) “The lie has propagated through the liberal media” -- Huh? The Huffington Post (liberal media) showed the interview with the wife of the Republican politician. None of that was distorted at all.
6) I do not personally know if Ms. Hughes currently owns real estate or if she moved it into the name of her son. This information would reflect badly on her, not on Obama or the Florida Republican politician’s wife if it is true, though.
7) From what I understand, it is true that three or four years ago, Ms. Hughes sold some property. The article that your article linked to states this: “Henrietta and her son sold the land for $47,000 dollars.” Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but $47,000 isn’t a windfall profit that is going to sustain you indefinitely.
It is articles like this that give Republicans and Christians a bad name. Since somehow Christianity has become intertwined in Republicanism, lately one reflects on the other. This is just a spiteful, mean-spirited article based mostly in misrepresentation and lies.
Just a thought: One point I think we can all agree on is that there are always jerks who will work the system. This is even including those at work who will abuse the sick leave policy or milk injuries to keep getting handicapped parking. I don’t think that we should get rid of sick leave or handicapped parking just because of those jerks.
A faith-based org (We Care outreach) mentioned that they offered her a home that was rent-free for 3 months, but we don't know if that home would have had free utilities as well, to say nothing of the current debts Ms. Hughes is trying to pay off and the inevitable rent due once the 3 months is up. In a state hit very hard by the housing bubble, anyone in real estate would be struggling to find income. To paint this woman as someone who is gaming the system to receive a freebie is disingenuous at best, and outright libel at worst.
It's sad that we've reached a point where 'government service' is a dirty word... If we're the greatest country on earth, maybe we can have the greatest government.Lewis Black
Thanks for expressing my thoughts so very well, CTM.
I read this, and just shook my head at the hard right tone of the article. That very tone is what alerted me to the fact that it was a distortion, and probably an untruth. It's so easy to take a grain of truth and twist it into an ugly scenario.
I have to give Blakey credit here...Instead of assuming it was true, he asked. He's come a long way. ;-)
Central TX Mom-I absolutely appaud your detailed analysis. How sad that this was clearly slanted and distorted. At the very least, these harsh accusations were not well-researched, or backed up with reliable facts. Part of it may simply be about "being out of touch." Many people don't understand the faces of poverty or definitions of homelessness. As a teacher, our program for homeless students has expanded greatly (and I'm not even in an inner city school.) Some have lived in cars, others just keep living a few weeks at a time with different relatives, some are on the verge of eviction (again.) If this woman is someone just trying to milk the system, take advantage of the spotlight (which I personally doubt) Pres. Obama and the wife of the Florida Republican politician are the victims here.
Blakey-I'd love to believe your were truly outraged, shocked, disappointed but you had one too many question marks in your title so I see through the fasade. If you are honest with yourself, perhaps the point of this was to cast doubt on Pres. Obama and you (along with the Anti-Obama crowd who will spread this article and quote it as the gospel truth) are secretly trying to latch onto negative portrayals/references to Pres. Obama. It's a pattern we get used to here at RFO but it's quite overt, and not subtle at all, just so you know.And many such attempts backfire or are proven incorrect (Obama's questionable birth certificate, Muslim ties, etc.)
I am tempted to put out some slanderous articles here but if the source seems shaky (or even just too slanted like some of the Huffington Post articles) I just skip the idea until I can find it in more reputable sources.
I have a feeling those who wrote/believe this article were the ones bashing the media for checking up on Joe the Plumber, finding out about his taxes, etc. So that was wrong but this is okay? Personally, I feel bad for anyone who decides to speak out in the public (even at an innocent Q & A session with the president) because apparently you are "game" for the curious media.
If anyone finds a more balanced follow-up article, it would be appreciated.
I simply wanted to hear everyone elses opinion.
Hope you don't regret that desire. My opinion can be quite impassioned at times : )
Thats alright Kelly. Opinions are suppose to be.
RepublicansforObama.org is not affiliated with the Obama Presidential Campaign